To curb the menace of food adulteration by ensuring safety and quality of food by
providing our quality services to Public, Private and other variety of clients
like DHO/Food Department ICT, CDA Islamabad, DFC/DI AJK, PIA, CSD, POF Wah,
OGDCL, Utility Store Corporation, Customs, Manufacturers, NGOs & Domestic
Sections of the Division
The Division is comprised of the following Sections/Laboratories. At present 34
staff members are working in Nutrition Division including 17 technical
- Admin Section, Nutrition Division
- Reception, Nutrition Division
- Federal Public Analyst Lab
- Food Analytical Lab
- Facility for Analysis of Quality Parameters
- Facility for Macronutrients (Proximate Analysis)
- Facility for Micronutrients / Minerals Detection etc
- Facility for Salt / Iodized Salt Analysis
- Facility for Chemical Contaminants (Residual Pesticides//Mycotoxin
(Aflatoxin)/Heavy Metals etc.)
- Research & Development
- Water Chemical Lab
- Food / Water Microbiology Lab
- Nutrition Education Department
Functions / Facilities of the Division
Nutrition Division – NIH is working on the basis of authoritative functions
provided through NIH Ordinance No. XL III of 1980
- To conduct research on applied nutrition like clinical nutrition and food
analysis and undertake nutrition education.
- To advise federal government in developing food standards / pure food laws
in collaboration with international agencies like WHO / FAO and others.
- Client Facilitation or Help Desk at Reception through provision of a
Nutritionist / Consultant to address all technicalities of Clients regarding
sampling, testing facilities and counseling on reports.
- Federal Public Analyst Laboratory to facilitate Food Inspectors/DFCs/DHOs
- Food / Water chemical analysis to assess food quality.
- Proximate analysis to assess compositional ingredients.
- Provision of Salt/Iodized salt analysis.
- Food / Water chemical contaminants analysis (Detection of Heavy metals,
Residual pesticides and Aflatoxin) to assess food safety.
- Microbiological Analysis to assess food /water safety.
- Development of standards with respect to food quality and food safety in
collaboration with international agencies like WHO / FAO etc.
- Nutrition Education.
- Provision of R & D Lab to develop new facilities/standards and update
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP).
- Development of Nutritional Literatures.
- Research on Applied Nutrition / Clinical Nutrition.
- Technical Support to Academia.
- Advocacy to Federal Government on nutrition related issues.
- Diet Manual for Hospitals in Pakistan- Nutritional Care in Health and
- Islamabad Capital Territory Pure Food Act
- National Food Based Dietary Guidelines (NFBDG)
- National Food Safety Policy
- National Food Safety plan and Strategies for implementation:
- Revision of Pure Food Rules, 1965
- Document on Food Safety Management System through application of ISO
22000:2005 Standard for small and Medium Enterprises
- Formulation of therapeutic Diet Manual
Development of Food Standards
- A revised draft is submitted in 2006 to update the Pakistan Pure Food Rules
1965 under the JPRM project for implementation at ICT level
- Iodine Test Kit
- Iron Test Kit
- Chlorine Test Kit
Instructions for Clients